Learn Piping or Drumming
Highlanders Pipe Band offers structured classes every Wednesday from
6:30-7:20pm, and several band members are also available for private
instruction. We welcome new students
of all ages, genders, races, and backgrounds--no experience necessary!
students will learn the basic techniques of piping or drumming and will be able
to play simple tunes at the end of a ten-week session.
The course will run every Wednesday evening for ten weeks from 6:30pm to 7:20pm, starting on January 23, 2019.
classes are held at St. Thomas
School in Medina in the school gym (map).
Our band meets here weekly for band practice which immediately follows the
lessons. Students will have the opportunity to stay and meet the band and
observe practice if they choose.
student will be required to have a practice chanter (pipers) or sticks and pad
(drummers) for each class. These can be obtained from several online pipe
supply stores such as Tartan
Piper's Hut, or The Piper's Dojo.
Children with smaller hands should consider purchasing a child-size
chanter. All other printed materials and
music will be provided by the band and is included in the cost of the classes.
cost of the 10-week course is $150 which is $15 per lesson – a real bargain!
bring payments payable to 'KHPB' to the open house or first class.
Introductory Piping Class (on chanter)
- for those with no previous experience. Students who successfully complete this class will be able to play all chanter embellishments as well as a few basic tunes on the practice chanter.
Novice Piping Class (on chanter)
- for those who have previous chanter experience and have learned all the basic chanter embellishments. This class will focus on the KHPB minimum repertoire tunes on practice chanter.
Advanced Piping Class (on chanter & pipes)
- These classes will vary based on the needs and experience of students. Instruction will occur on both practice chanter and pipes with the goal of mastering all KHPB minimum repertoire on the pipes. Additional skills learned will include "pipes up", strike-ins, steady blowing, and cut-offs. Note that each student is required to have their own set of pipes for this class.
Introductory Side Drumming
- for those with no previous exposure to side drumming lessons. Students who
successfully complete this class will be able to play all drumming rudiments as
well as a few basic tunes on sticks and pad.
Advanced Side Drumming
- for those who have previous side drumming experience and have learned all the
basic side drumming rudiments. This class will focus on minimum repertoire
tunes on sticks and pad.
Introductory Bass/Tenor Drumming - for those with no previous exposure to bass or tenor
drumming lessons. Students who successfully complete this class will be able to
play all drumming rudiments as well as a few basic tunes on sticks and pad.
Advanced Bass/Tenor Drumming - for those who have previous Bass or Tenor drumming
experience and have learned all the basic drumming rudiments. This class will
focus on the minimum repertoire tunes including flourishing.
If you are
email us at email@example.com. We look forward
to seeing you!
If you already have some experience
with drummming, practice chanter, or pipes, just come to St. Thomas
School in Medina on any Wednesday night, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.